Is desiccant required?

Description of your first forum.
fawazahmed0

Is desiccant required?

Post by fawazahmed0 »

Hi,

At http://oxygenator.geprojects.tech/index ... age/setup/ you guys have mentioned about desiccant.
I would like to know whether it's necessary, because so far in prototypes you haven't used any desiccant
I just want to know how it will effect the durability of zeolite, when we don't use desiccant

I have an idea how to use desiccant in the prototype, but if desiccant is not necessary,then there is no point in using it.

Just anyone is interested, this is my idea on desiccant.

I will use two aluminum(or copper) pipes filled with silica gel, these aluminium pipes will have a thermistor attached to it from outside.

During first 30 or so minutes, the ambient air(with moisture) will pass through one of the aluminum pipe and the silica will absorb the moisture,
Next 30 mins or so, the ambient air(with moisture) will pass through other aluminum pipe and the previous aluminum pipe will get heated using thermistor to regenerate the silica gel and pressurized air from compressor will pass through the heated pipe for few seconds to drive away the moisture through exhaust and the process will repeat every 30mins or so

I just want opinion, whether to use desiccant or not and also if someone could give me feedback on my idea that would be great.

kochju

Re: Is desiccant required?

Post by kochju »

Hi Ahmed,

Sorry for the delay, we had some technical problems with the website and forum.

As you observed, we have not used desiccant so far, as we mostly used the LiX zeolite which is less moisture sensitive. We also tried with 13X zeolite, where the moisture is more of a problem for running the setup for longer times (e.g. 5 hours and more). Therefore, depending on the zeolite used and the type of application, desiccant will definitely be important in a later stage. Especially in high humidity places in the world, desiccant recovery will be essential.

Your idea sounds interesting, it would need some additional parts to program the thermistor but it should be doable. Keep up the interesting work!

fawazahmed0

Post by fawazahmed0 »

Hi Julian,

Yeah, I know, the website never worked for me for last 1-2 week, I was under the impression that this project(Oxygenator) was cancelled and that's why the site was not working. Thanks for making the website live again.
Just in case this happens in the future, where should I raise the issue? I mean it would be great if you have a place where these types of issues could be reported.

Anyways, coming to my question, I was assuming that the cotton used in the zeolite tubing was enough to absorb the moisture, so I gave up the idea of using a dessicant. But now I think I will have to change my mind as I live in a humid region (currently 94% humidity).

It would have been great if you guys would made a version with a dessicant because 40% of the world population lives in tropical countries. But,anyways I think I will have to think about my idea on how to implement it.

And yeah thanks for responding back.

fawazahmed0

Post by fawazahmed0 »

This is an old post.
I had an idea on how to make a dessicant variant, I posted about that at here:
http://oxygenator.geprojects.tech/index ... comment-60

kochju

Post by kochju »

Thanks again Ahmed for your valuable inputs! I'll make sure that my Email is on the website for future issues.

During lockdown in Switzerland, we were 3 people working almost full time on this project, now we are again occupied with our other projects. That's why is was calmer lately on the website. But our goal is to keep up communication with other people that are working on this system around the world and hopefully link interested people so that we can solve the issues together.

fawazahmed0

Post by fawazahmed0 »

Thanks Julian

Davidnacle

Want to say hello

Post by Davidnacle »

Just want to say hello, I'm a new here.

koko

Post by koko »

Respected, would you like to share the project details via email as khattakwadaan20202@gmail.com .I'm work on the same project. Thanks in advance,