- Samples of NaX (Si/Al = 1.25) were obtained from commercial vendors (Aldrich, molecular sieve 13X). In this case the sodium form was exchanged six times with 1 M NH4Cl solution at T = 360−365 K for 24 h to obtain the NH4 form.
- The Li-exchanged zeolite LiX-1.25 was obtained by exchanging the NH4 form three times with 1 M LiCl for 24 h and three times with 6 M LiCl at 365 K for 24 h. The absence of NH4 was confirmed by IR using the KBr pellet technique. Full ion exchange was confirmed later by chemical analysis.
- The amount of lithium (or lithium equivalent) content in a battery or battery pack can be worked out as 0.3 x amp hour capacity. So a 2Ah battery has 0.6 grams of lithium (2 x 0.3) and a typical laptop battery pack with eight 2Ah cells has 4.8 grams (8 units x (0.3 x 2Ah))
- 18650 battery –> 2.5 Ah approx –> 0.6 g of Li
- Amount of Li needed: approx. 42 g / kg_LiX (WS calculation)
Amount of LiX needed
It can be estimated using the RPSA performance data of Figures 9 and 10 that an adsorber [3.175 cm in diameter and 55cmlong]containing∼230gofLiXzeolitewillbeadequateto produce ∼5 LPM of ∼90% O2-enriched product gas. The compressed feed air (∼3 atm) ﬂow rate needed is ∼67 LPM. The outside diameter ofthe gastank is assumed to be∼15.2 cm which will be suﬃcient to hold ∼15.8 L of usable O2 product (withdrawn between 3 and 1 atm pressures).
hence: 1/4 kg LiX per patient station –> 15-20 batteries 18650 (a laptop battery may contain 6-8 batteries)
- How to obtain Li from batteries? 18650 batteries contain Li salts (not pure Li).
- [PAPER] Characterization of Li Cations in Zeolite LiX by Solid-State NMR Spectroscopy and Neutron Diffraction
- [PAPER] Rapid Pressure Swing Adsorption for Reduction of Bed Size Factor of a Medical Oxygen Concentrator
This is work in progress. Please contribute in the comments. All valuable inputs will help us define the best solution.